pure Ireland SHORTLISTShortlist MENU
Glendalough Miners village

Glendalough Mines and the Miners Village

Back to... Holiday Cottages The Magazine

The mining of lead, zinc and silver began in the 1790's in the Glendalough and Glendasan valleys


The Glendalough mines at its peak employed 2,000 miners who mined lead, zinc and silver in the Glendalough and Glendasan valleys. Mining began in the 1790's and continued until floodings and lack of funds caused mining to halt in 1957.

Take the approximately 5 km walk from the Glendalough Visitor Centre to the Upper Lake and then follow the 'Miners Road Walk' and eventually arrive at the Glendalough mines and the remains of the miners village.

Van Diemen’s Land


The valley at the far end of the Glendalough Upper Lake was nick named "Van Diemen’s Land" by the then resident miners, gaining its name from Tasmania in Australia, because of its remoteness from civilization.

Mules were originally used to transport the material but were later replaced by an inclined railway that transported the material to the base of Glendalough valley for processing.

For a small period of time after the first world war the Ministry of Munitions in London granted aid to the Wynnes family, the original mine owners but funds soon halted along with any possibility of any continued mining work.

150 years later, an original iron crusher can still be seen at the Glendalough mine site. A monument to the past.

The walk to Glendalough Mines and the Miners village

The walk to Glendalough Mines and the Miners village

Glendalough lead, zinc and silver mine

Glendalough lead, zinc and silver mine

Glendalough Miners village

Glendalough Miners village

Glendalough Miners village nick named Van Diemen’s Land

Glendalough Miners village nick named Van Diemen’s Land

Note: This article may contain or reflect personal opinions and cannot be considered contractual.
Full property details and booking terms and conditions are available on the relevant property page(s).
Entry fees, opening hours and other information is correct as of publishing, September 2017.


   

Glendalough Mines and the Miners Village - Pure Ireland

Pure Ireland is a trading name of Atkins & Jones Limited.

© 2018, all rights reserved.